01 March 2014

Happy birthday Daddy

You've been there for me since I was born and held me in your arms. Maybe you hadn't matured enough at that time, or maybe you had dreams you wanted to fulfil first, or maybe you wanted mom by yourself for a few more years before I peekabooed into this world. But you handled my presence the best you could, you gave me everything a dad could ever give to his little girl. 

You're not much of a talker, which by the way you're infamous for, nor an expressive guy but I know you love me. I always knew you love me from the little things you do like pretend not to be interested in whom I date or the big sacrifices you make for me so that I could fulfil my own stubborn dreams. I still remember that dinner conversation we had at the restaurant after I finished high school; I was being my stubborn self and claiming to know what I wanted to study while you patiently understandingly tried to guide my path by reasoning my choices. But I wouldn't budge so you agreed for me to do my own thing and supported me throughout even though it wasn't what you would've chosen for me. 

There are times I reflected on that conversation and part of me wished I had listened to you. But all's done is done and I am here; a bit wiser now but still a long way to go. 

Because of you I grew up to be strong, independent in my ways, with a tinge of stubbornness (wonder whom I got that from?) You showered me with enough luxury to make me feel special but restrained me to an extent to teach me how to stand up on my own. You might not recall teaching me so many life lessons but you never needed to, I learned from watching you; your quiet demeanour, your strong presence, your etiquette perfection, your few words of lasting effects, your competitiveness, your work integrity, and the rock you always are through all the burdens you have had to carry. 

In the eyes of the world, I am considered a grown-up. But I know I'm still a little girl in your eyes, and I know I can still run to you when I hurt myself and you would always embrace me. 

I love you daddy, happy birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to leave your comment, I'd be charmed to hear from you